Friday 12 June 2009

Google fusion. One small step...

So I have been on a project working towards examining what information is available open source now. The idea was to use a proprietary software program to display this data as it allows the geocoding and visualisation of tabular data.

That was until Google Labs just blew me away.The below map was created with absolutely no GIS knowledge or Data manipulation required. It shows country of origin of UK citizenship applicants. The data comes from the Guardian Data blog and the geocoding and visualisation comes from the newly released Google Fusion tables from Google labs.


I have just realised that some readers do not show the map. You may have to visit my blog page to see it.

What I like is that you can watch the points being added on the map as they are geocoded and that there is no input from the user. The Google geocoder even deciphers US to mean United States of America and displays it accordingly. Interestingly though when I tried to geocode the Guardians local council votes the Google geocoder recognised many of the councils as being in the US (I suppose this is our own fault for lack of originality in New World town names all those years ago).

Check out the fusion tables. I offer one final thought and that is when will we see the first online geospatial analytics engine? We have JUMP (an open source JAVA based GIS) so when will we see something capable of bridging the gap of what Google fusion does and what mainstream GI systems do?

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment